- The family retail premises in Twickenham are located on Heath Road.
- Her working life started when she looked after the family wholesale business in Malawi whilst raising 4 children.
- The Twickenham business started in 1984 at Number 8 Heath Road.
- She is of Indian descent and used to live in Malawi and Mozambique.
- She has a passion for cooking for family and friends and looking after her roses.
- She has worked in the retail sector for 30 years.
- Her business mantra is – “ How may we help you? ”
Have you guessed who it is yet? No?
- This is very much a family business with many members of the family working in the shop at various times.
- On her days off, she likes to visit garden centres, friends and family. She loves spending time with her grandchildren.
- She loves gardening and her garden is her sanctuary. It gives her the inspiration for her other hobby, cooking.
- She has a herb and vegetable garden that provides beautiful ingredients for what she has been told are culinary delights!
- The best lesson she has learnt in business is: Building good relationships with customers together with quality products goes a long way.
- She speaks conversational Portuguese having been born and bought up in Mozambique.
- She’s a strong believer in creativity as a means to mindfulness, and, the value of community for a sense of belonging hence helping develop the ‘Supporting Art in the Community’ campaign
- The Google Reviews of the shop are all 5 Star. “Personal and knowledgeable service and a really good range of stationery. ” “ The NICEST Family art shop, it’s my go to place for everything art ! Affordable prices too, always something to buy there and the loveliest of people! A*** service, quality and you always leave with a smile”
It can only be one person, Mrs Laxmi M Thakrar of Star PRINT Stationery & Artists Materials Shop.
Twickenham has been home for several generations of the family and therefore it was seen to be a good place to open a business. Her brother- in- law Ravi had an opportunity to buy a print business on Twickenham high street in 1984. Over the past 36 years, the family have developed the business to become a specialist stationers and added a good range of Artist Materials that they are still growing and developing today. The shop’s most popular products are Stationery including printer ink, Artist Materials, and children’s school / art and craft requirements.
Being a part of the community and being able to contribute to it, is important to the family. They often offer raffle prizes to various local schools to help raise funds. When her children were younger, together with her sister in law, Laxmi used to make onion and potato bhajis at the summer fair, which always managed to raise a fantastic amount for the school. Cancer Research is another cause close to the hearts of all at Star Print. Doing a half marathon night walk for cancer research together with her sister- in- law and niece they managed to raise over £3000.
Over the 30 years that the family business has served the local community, Laxmi has seen a lot of change in Twickenham: more homes, the development of roads, the train station and changes to the riverside. However, the one constant has been the plethora of customers who come back time and time again, many of whom have become good friends. “We pride ourselves in good customer service and we’ve always tried to meet and fulfil our customers requirements.” This is of course why people come back time and time again, and why they bring their children and their children’s children, the next generation of customers.
If you would like more information about STAR PRINT please go to the website https://www.starprint-twickenham.co.uk/
By Con O’Brien – Business Consultant
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile – 0785 401 3864